Wednesday, July 3, 2013

I Spy

I spy a witch's broom, monkey, owl, and train,
6 snowmen, 2 rebel scum, a saxophone, and rain.
I made these two quilts back in 2012, one for a good friend that I never see anymore and her little boy, the other for an old co-worker and her little man. I love making baby quilts, and had wanted to do an I spy quilt forever, when I finally got to it I made two!
The thing about I spy quilts for babies is that they tend to be so busy, and in my opinion (the early childhood educator in me is coming out) overstimulating! I knew I did not want to do that for any I spy quilts I made, so for these I went with small 2.5" squares on solid background, that way there was some calm space to wrap in the busy area. On one quilt I added ribbons around the binding, I think I like the ribbons best, a feature I've been adding to a lot of baby quilts lately.
For both quilts I used a Kona khaki solid fabric for the quilt top, then a khaki flannel on the back. I quilted using straight lines of different colored thread; orange, blue, green, red, and yellow.
For my good friend I added small pieces of me into the quilt, such as Princess Leia, Han Solo, coffee cups, owls, and bicycle wheels. For the other quilt I did a 4 by 4 block of green squares then branched out to more colorful blocks, I love this and may do something similar again.
I used the same Kona khaki cotton for the binding, which I love because it makes the quilt feel so organic, almost unfinished. I will definitely be making more of these, perhaps when I start up an Etsy shop these will be for sale. :)

No comments: