Monday, July 4, 2011

Before and After

Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans. Here are my little brothers and I many years ago with the birthday cake I insisted on making for America. This year I made two yummy jello cakes, I wish I could share some with all of you. :)

I thought I would share with you my "America" Quilt that I made for my father-in-law. He asked for an army quilt, however their living room and kitchen are both red, blue and beige....Americana. So I thought I would make hims something to match. He loves it, however he did mention, "where is my ARMY quilt?" with a mischievous smile.
I did this nine patch using Amanda Jean's  one-a-day nine patch quilt along. I really don't care for patriotic things in general., but I love the way this quilt turned out. And there it is on our old couch....before it was shredded up by Penny. :)
Which leads me to the before:
(don't you love the pillow under the cushion, our attempt at added support, oh and the beautiful duct tape!)
And after:
I got two pillows done for the new couch, and two other tops pieced, just need to quilt them. I decided this couch is going to have only four pillows, two to match the house and the other two will be seasonal. And let me tell you, the new couch is so comfy! I love being able to recline, and surprisingly it doesn't take up too much space in our small living room.
After three days of grilling with the neighbors, watching fireworks, drinking and eating too much, and being eaten by bugs, I am inside quilting today. I am enjoying this fourth of July, while listening to "Rockin' BBQ radio" on Pandora (a great summer rock station.) I am approaching the finishing line with my "Colors of Hope" quilt: 
Next in line is my Aunt's wedding quilt. Both of which I plan to bind this weekend while we are camping.

No comments: